Today we are going to look at migraines, what they are, what causes them, and how to treat it.
Let us first take a look at headaches. Headaches affect everyone, are common, and only last a few hours. They cause pain in the head, face, or upper neck and can vary in frequency and intensity. A mild pain killer, a nap, or some water usually cures you from pain. A migraine however usually produces symptoms that are more intense and debilitating than headaches.
Migraines can progress through four stages: prodrome, aura, attack, and post-drome. Note: Not everyone who experiences migraines go through all stages.
- Prodrome – one or two days you may experience subtle changes like constipation, neck stiffness and food cravings.
- Aura – might occur before or during migraines. These are reversible symptoms of the nervous system, such as vision loss, numbness in the face or one side of your body, and difficulty speaking. Symptoms gradually build, and can last up to one hour.
- Attack – a migraine can last from 4 to 72 hours if untreated. You may experience nausea and vomiting, throbbing/pulsating pain, and sensitivity to light, smell and touch.
- Post-drome – you may feel drained, confused and washed up for up to a day, and sudden head movement may bring on brief temporary pain.
Migraines may be trigged by the following:
- Hormonal changes in women
- Drinks – alcohol (especially wine), excessive caffeine.
- Sleep changes
- Sensory stimuli
- Physical exertion
- Food/Food additives
Herbal medicine has in impressive track record in treating migraines and chronic headaches. Feverfew treats the cause of the headache or migraine, and not just the pain. It is the combination of ingredients in the Feverfew plant that brings such positive relief. It works by inhibiting the release of two inflammatory substances, serotonin, and prostaglandins, which are both believed to contribute to the onset of migraines.
Feverfew should be taken on a regular basis for maximum benefit. Studies show, that by using feverfew daily, participants were able to reduce severity and frequency of migraines.
Other useful benefits of Feverfew include:
- Lower blood pressure.
- Less stomach irritation.
- Stimulate appetite.
- Improve digestion and kidney function.
- Relieve dizziness, tinnitus, and painful or sluggish menstruation